Welcome Tom Kermabon to the Moana Surfrider!
Hospitality industry veteran Tom Kermabon has been named hotel manager at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, as announced by General Manager Larry Hanson.
Most recently, Kermabon served as general manager of the Omni Tucson National Resort in Tucson, Ariz. since May 2014.
Kermabon joined Starwood in 1988 and has held a variety of leadership positions in the front office, as well as housekeeping departments for a number of hotels, including hotels overseas in Japan and China.
He began his hospitality career with Starwood at Westin St. Francis Hotel, where he started as a doorman and worked his way up through the ranks, later serving as the assistant front office manager there, until taking on the front office manager position at the Westin Miyako Kyoto Hotel in Japan.
The following year, he transitioned to Sheraton Dongguan, in People’s Republic of China as director of rooms.
He returned to Westin St. Francis Hotel in 2003, holding a variety of positions including guest services manager, director of guest services and assistant director of housekeeping.
Kermabon also has experience working in the San Diego and Washington, D.C. markets.
Kermabon is a fifth generation San Franciscan and enjoys golfing and spending time with his family in his spare time.
We asked Tom for a few fun facts and this is what he shared:
- I haven’t played golf anywhere in Hawaii yet, but will start this Saturday at Hoakalei. My ultimate golfing goal on Oahu is to try Waialae Country Club and not become too distracted by the ocean views! The reputation that establishment has earned is world renowned and it has played host to many of the top PGA events for many years.
- I love Hawaiian cuisine and look forward to exploring more. Yesterday I had a wonderful piece of Opah (moonfish) at our very own Beachhouse at the Moana. Hawaiian barbeque and Kalua pig, tropical fruit, fresh seafood, rice, local greens….all enjoyable for my family and friends. I am a tonkotsu ramen fanatic and so happy to see choices here. I also enjoy many other seasonal dishes from Japan, Thailand and China, all available in abundance.
- I appreciate Hawaii because its history, music and culture are fascinating, the spirit of Aloha is widespread, the people are warm, diverse, open-minded and have a great sense of humor, the weather is beautiful, tourism is an important industry here, there are so many opportunities to connect with nature while enjoying outdoor activities, it is located between my hometown of San Francisco and my wife’s hometown of Tokyo, and I can fly direct to so many other appealing destinations. I appreciate the warm air, the clean water, and the gentle breezes.
- I enjoy Waikiki because you have an influx of international travelers and locals of all ages, great shopping options from high end brands to bargains, a great variety of restaurants and entertainment, a world-class beach with friendly waters and all within walking distance. Busy, exciting, special events and great people watching.
- The Moana speaks to me the same way it does to so many others from around the globe. The warm service from the heart our dedicated associates provide isn’t easily found elsewhere. Her grand entrance, open air lobby, magnificent restaurant and event spaces, dynamic views…they don’t build ‘em like this anymore. People travel here from all over the world to enjoy what we have, some of them several times a year and often to celebrate special events in their lives. We have a high percentage of repeat guests. In her historic elegance, you can only wonder what conversations must have been had under the magnificent banyan tree over the past 115 years. And like many, I am a music lover; the daily and special occasion entertainment we provide from our Beach Bar with Waikiki Beach as its backdrop create wonderful memories every day. Rest & relaxation seem to come naturally here since she opened in 1901, The First lady of Waikiki. I also very much appreciate the Moana because it is owned by Kyo-ya Hotels. They have demonstrated an unwavering commitment to their people, supporting the local community, and towards a superior hotel product for over 50 years.